Friday, January 22, 2016

Investigating Dramas


I will be writing about the literary genre of a quick reference guide



GFlores. "Person typing on a notebook computer keyboard" 11/25/2014 via Wikipedia. Public Domain.

1. A quick reference guide usually serves as a small but informative piece on any issue or trending story. It is meant to portray the writers opinion and inform the reader of what they are writing about. Quick reference guides are a great tool to use if you want to quickly get up to date on the content, but be careful because they are written based on the opinion of the writer.

2. A quick reference guide is almost always found on the internet. In times like these, where technology is such a huge part of our society, this means that they are easily accessible. One thing to note about a quick reference guide is that they can be written by anyone, regardless of their background.

3. The quick reference guide is posted online, so it has the opportunity to reach just about any audience. However, its audience is mostly focused on people who use the internet as a primary news source and are willing to spend a couple of minutes reading. People who will be reading these will mostly be young adults, students, and social media users.

4. When  reading through a few examples of quick reference guides, I noticed that one thing that seemed to be a key feature was the use of hyperlinks. Instead of providing sources for the information they were using, I noticed that the authors would simply include a link in their writing. Another key feature would be the use of mini titles introducing each point. Instead of transitioning naturally between points, the authors would split them up with mini titles.

5. A quick reference guide is a short and simple piece that is put onto the internet by any author. It portrays the authors opinion and point of view and analyzes the subject of the writing. It is made easy and accessible by incorporating links and mini titles to make it easier to read and understand.

Reflection: I appreciate the good responses I got. I reviewed Benjamins point on the audience, and I see what he was saying. I think he and I agree on the audience, so I think I should have done a better job expressing exactly what I meant. 

3 comments:

  1. Dear Malik,
    There are certainly a few things that I agree with you about (I did the same genre). Perhaps the main point is the fact that a varying number of these articles are subjective. You mentioned that basically anyone can write one an article, and I would most certainly agree with that. The only advice that I could give you would be to tell your audience more about people being opinionated in their posts. For instance, are people doing it unconsciously or on purpose? Are they attempting to provide factual evidence but every now and then their opinion sneaks in there? Another thing I would agree with you on is the way the quick reference guides use a bunch of hyper links and "mini" titles. There is also something that I noticed to be fairly prevalent. They use a lot of quotes from "outside sources" who spoke their mind on the issue.
    I don't actually agree with what you said about who the audience of these "quick reference guides" are. Perhaps I am just interpreting your suggested audience wrong. Certainly young adults and students, but is it just them? Or is it specifically people who enjoy commenting/ gossiping on the internet (i.e. bloggers)? And what about articles from say the Washington post? Articles that (arguably) contain more factual evidence versus opinion? I believe that they have a different crowd (say "older" users) than blog-based articles do. But overall, great analyzation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you got a lot of the main points down for the quick reference guide genre. It is definitely a quick way to learn about any subject. I also like how you included the fact that the author can be anyone. This leads to the readers incorporating more context into the situation. I believe that these articles can still be credible and reliable. Like you mentioned, many articles include direct links. This is a great way to fact check an article and ultimately the author. I would have explored the process of these links and talked about what makes an article credible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the Read/Reply Reflects: Revisit Step 1.10 from "Deadline 1" to re-familiarize yourself with what the prompt is asking for….. “Be sure to also list who you replied to and provide working hyperlinks to each individual’s post (NOTE: if these links aren’t included or don’t work or if the page it directs us to is blocked from public view, I will not be able to assign you full credit for this exercise)” (Step 1.10).

    ReplyDelete