Sunday, January 31, 2016

Reddit and What I Found There

In this blog I will be discussing two sub reddits concerning business. Those subreddits are /r/business and /r/entrepreneurship.

File:Reddit.svg
ZyMOS-BOT "File:Reddit.svg" Uploaded 1/28/2010 via wikimedia. Public Domain

Scrolling through these subreddits felt a lot like going through Twitter. I would see something that interested me and click on it. However, when looking for conversations and debates, reddit seems to be full of them. when exploring my two subreddits, I found many interesting things. They were mostly posted by anonymous users and contained anything from advice to complaints. These subreddits boasted a vibrant and responsive community, which I greatly appreciated.

When searching through /r/business, I came across a post concerning the seemingly slower shipping rates that Amazon had for non-prime members. This grabbed my attention because I am a Prime member, and any validation that my money is well spent is comforting. Another interesting thing about this post is that it had over 80 comments. I read through the thread and found myself mad at Amazon for things that had never happened to me. Being witness to a large scale discussion like that was very interesting and exactly what I was looking for. On /r/entrepreneurship I found a post titled "How to wake up at 5AM and build your startup". I have always found the prospect of building my own business interesting, so I clicked on it to see where it would take me. What I found was a massive in depth guide on how to exactly what the title suggested. What was even more valuable was the 50+ comments on the thread in which users shared their own experiences and tips. This is definitely a place to go when considering starting your own business.

What I noticed and liked about Reddit was the massive community. I loved all of the personalized feedback and the lively debate. I honestly was not expecting the large amount of productive conversation that was being had, as my experience with the internet has shown me that when people are anonymous they are infinitely more superfluous. Talk about a pleasant surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment